Saturday, November 10, 2012

Proposal paper 2


Title: Bros before hoes vs. Mean girls
Author: Genevieve Vandeutekom
Date: 11/10/12
Topic: guy code vs. girl code
Analysis of argument: The reason that guys and girls act the way that they do, is because of key rules that are know for masculinity and for femininity.
Exigence: If the media stopped promoting this behavior then things would change a lot for these rules, although some are just born into each individual person.
Intended audience: youth
Purpose: to inform my audience about the differences in male and female rules and why they affect our society
Claim: As a women who has gone through high school and part of college i feel like i have a lot of opinion on this subject and good insights to share.
  To inform my audience about the rules of masculinity and femininity I will use the rules from "Bros before hoes" The guy code by Michael Kimmel and the girl rules from Mean Girls , a movie featuring Lindsey Lohan. On top of the facts and reasoning behind those two sources I will also use statistics and facts to back up my ideas.
  Next I will use pathos by evoking what each gender has to face. A lot of time people don't take the time to notice what the back ground of the other gender is or has gone through. There is usually a reason people act the way that they do. My goal in doing this is that whoever reads this can remember these things when they are in a relationship or having to deal with the opposite sex.
 The last appeal I will use is ethos. I can establish my own credibility by talking about my own experience with these ideas. Also as a female I know the rules of femininity and can relate to them. Furthermore being in a relationship, during high school especially, I could see some of the rules of masculinity come out of my boyfriend so that he would be "cool".
  Overall, I want people to read my paper and get a little bit of understanding of why people are the way they are and how media sometimes encourages it. Boys need to not give off that they feel emotions and get hurt, while girls need to be sensitive and sweet all the time. These are basically gender stereotypes that have been implicated on society. 

1 comment:

  1. Good work here. This is an important topic and I'm glad you are able to make connections with our reading and in your personal life. I might suggest you launch off of the Fantasy Slut League (Piedmont High School) to contextualize your claims. I think that scenario really sets the scene for your argument. Thanks for your effort here!

    ReplyDelete